Whistler 50 Relay & Ultra
Race Day: October 19, 2019
The 9th annual Whistler 50 is a 50 mile relay and 50 KM ultra-marathon centered around Whistler Olympic Plaza and Whistler’s incredible Lost Lake trails. The event is open to Relay Teams of two, four, or eight members as well as individuals tackling the entire distance through the solo ultra-marathon. Taking place late in the running season, the event is positioned as an “end of year” wrap-up for numerous competitive running teams and a great social weekend for our recreational participants. With pre-race gatherings and post-race parties, this is both a fun athletic event and a great social weekend supporting local charities. Over the past eight years, Whistler 50 has donated $45,000 to local Food Banks.
- Course: The run starts and finishes at Whistler Olympic Plaza. The new course is a 10 KM loop, run 8 times for a total of 50 miles, primarily on Whistler’s Lost Lake Trail system.
- Race Starts: 7 AM solo Ultra | 8 AM Relay teams
- Race Finish: First finishers at noon, course closes at 5 PM
- Awards at Olympic Plaza: Event Awards take place Saturday afternoon at the Finish Area
Key Event Statistics
- Male/Female split is 40% and 60%
- Average age is 39 years old
- Majority of runners are aged 30-49 (30-39 represent 38%, 40-49 represent 32%)
- 90% of Relay Runners come from the Lower Mainland (Sea-to-Sky Corridor 5%), with other teams mainly coming from Washington State and Vancouver Island
- 70% of Ultra Runners come from the Lower Mainland (Sea-to-Sky Corridor 12%)
2019 Event Highlights
Continuing upon the success of implementing these aspects in the past, this year’s run will include:
- New course focused on Lost Lake trails
- New for 2019 the Ultra marathon distance is now 50 KM with a 7 AM start
- Additional food and beverage options available to participants
- On-site sponsor activations
- Recycling and waste-diversion teams at event venues
- Course adjustments to make event more spectator-friendly. Enjoy a more natural environment!
Here is how your business can get involved in the event:
- We are still looking for Community Partners for this year’s event and would like to promote activity, food, and retail discounts to our participants. Depending upon participation level, Partners may be eligible for on-site promotions, logo placement in ads/website, or chances to present awards. Please contact Race Director Dave Clark at 604.967.3733 or at W50racedirector@BCAthletics.org
- During the event, Partners would receive recognition in all event communications and would have the opportunity to set up a tent, banners, and signage in the finish area. Sampling options and other onsite activations could also be explored.
Official Website: www.whistler50.com