Advocacy in Action – Celebrating the Power of Connection
February 25, 2021
On February 18, the Whistler Chamber held our monthly Advocacy in Action: Member Input Session. Melissa Pace, CEO of the Whistler Chamber, connected virtually with eight Members and provided updates on important advocacy wins such as the BC PNP Program changes, shared important information on grants, and gave a reminder of what support the Chamber has to offer.
The purpose of these Member Input Sessions is for the Chamber to hear directly from our Members about what issues their businesses are facing and how the Chamber can continue to support. The issues discussed ranged from financial challenges to staffing issues, to mental health and wellbeing. Here are some of the key takeaways that the Chamber has logged and will continue to work to find answers and/or support Members with:
- How to keep businesses properly staffed and trained for when the numbers of visitors go back to normal. Will Whistler be ready for the next phase when visitors return?
- How can businesses retain staff if there aren’t enough work hours to give them?
- With mental health issues rising in the community, what else can be done?
- How can businesses keep doors open when revenue isn’t coming in as it once did?
During the session, the Chamber was inspired by the incredible strength and resilience of the Whistler business community. Every participant was collaborative in sharing valuable information, insight and innovative solutions. Once again, the power of our network enabled our Members to share tools with each other and the wider Whistler business community.
Below are the resources that were outlined during our latest Advocacy in Action session:
- Whistler Personnel Solutions – Training Wage Subsidies Available
- Whistler Community Services Society – COVID-19 Resources
- Whistler Community Services Society – Peer Educator Program
- BC Chamber – Building Resilience to Thrive Program
- Whistler Public Library – Friends of the Whistler Public Library 50/50 Raffle
Advocacy in Action: Member Input Sessions are an opportunity for Members to become more informed, better connected and leave equipped with resources to assist their businesses. Especially during the pandemic, it is important to use these opportunities to network, and let the Chamber know how to make business better for YOU, our Members.
We continue to work hard on moving the dial on issues affecting Whistler’s business. You can ensure your voice is heard by participating in our surveys, and by joining us for any of our virtual events. Here’s to the power of connection!
Whistler Chamber hosts Elected Officials for Advocacy in Action Community Discussion May 31, 2021 The Whistler Chamber of Commerce was proud to host Patrick Weiler, MP for West Vancouver – Sunshine Coast – Sea to Sky Country, and Jordan Sturdy, MLA for West...
Whistler Chamber Responds to new Health Orders April 22, 2021 On March 31, 2021, Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC’s Provincial Health Officer, announced a series of health orders that would have implications across the province. The Whistler Chamber posted a response by...
IWD 2021: Celebrating Whistler’s Women in Biz March 05, 2021 International Women’s Day (IWD) is on March 8, and this year's theme is #ChooseToChallenge. IWD is a global celebration of women's achievements, a day to raise awareness against bias and to take action...