ADVOCACY IN ACTION
Advocacy in Action with MLA Jordan Sturdy
September 4, 2020
This week the Whistler Chamber held a virtual roundtable discussion with Jordan Sturdy, MLA for West Vancouver-Sea to Sky and a small group of Members. The goal of this discussion was to provide our MLA with a deeper understanding of Whistler businesses’ main concerns at this time. Members from a cross section of industries were present, including Non-Profits, Food and Beverage, Education, Business Services, Financial Services and Transportation.
MLA Jordan Sturdy opened with three main issues:
- Concerned about viability and sustainability for Whistler businesses now, and for the medium and long term
a) How do we ensure that businesses can sustain over the fall period?
b) Acknowledged the Federal Government on the support they have offered, in particular the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Transit is one of the key factors we need to address. We need to have operational regional transit to support individuals, businesses, and communities up and down the Sea to Sky.
- Housing – government will continue to invest in housing with a priority focus on vulnerable populations, while also supporting additional affordable housing solutions.
Topics that were covered:
- Housing – We still need more affordable housing in Whistler, to retain the quality people we have. Many are unable to sustain a lifestyle (with or without a family) and are choosing to move elsewhere within BC and Canada
- Employer Health Tax (EHT) – Businesses need more money in their pockets, so would like to request to extend the deferral to 2021
- Labour – The need for a more streamlined process to access foreign workers, and for workers to access Permanent Residency more swiftly
- Childcare – Ongoing challenges and discussions
- Supporting the Arts sector
We would like to thank MLA Jordan Sturdy for his continued support.
Your Chamber will stay in close contact with MLA Jordan Sturdy as we continue to Make Business Better for you.
3 Coaching Tips to Engage and Improve Your Team’s Performance
3 Coaching Tips to Engage and Improve Your Team's Performance December 27, 2022 There are many different types of leadership, however one thing that all good leaders have in common is their ability to influence or guide other individuals, teams, or entire...
3 Reasons Why Championing Gender Inclusivity is Good For Business
3 Reasons Why Championing Gender Diversity is Good For Business December 19, 2022 For many people, transgender issues are new territory and the concepts related to gender diversity may feel overwhelming or confusing. That's why, this year Gender Diversity Basics is...
How to Support Local Businesses this Municipal Election
How to Support Local this Municipal Election September 23, 2022 During the pandemic, Whistler rallied to support local businesses, now the community can continue that support by using their vote in the upcoming Municipal election. As the Voice of Business, the...
Comparing Membership Tiers
Choosing the Right Plan for Your BusinessBecoming a member of the Whistler Chamber of Commerce means joining one of British Columbia's largest and most influential business organizations. We will help you connect with like-minded community leaders, promote your...
Whistler Chamber February Advocacy in Action Member Input Session
The Whistler Chamber hosted the first Advocacy in Action roundtable discussion of 2022 on February 17th. The meeting, which was held virtually, was well attended by representatives from a diverse set of Whistler businesses.