ADVOCACY IN ACTION
Advocacy in Action with MLA Jordan Sturdy
September 4, 2020
This week the Whistler Chamber held a virtual roundtable discussion with Jordan Sturdy, MLA for West Vancouver-Sea to Sky and a small group of Members. The goal of this discussion was to provide our MLA with a deeper understanding of Whistler businesses’ main concerns at this time. Members from a cross section of industries were present, including Non-Profits, Food and Beverage, Education, Business Services, Financial Services and Transportation.
MLA Jordan Sturdy opened with three main issues:
- Concerned about viability and sustainability for Whistler businesses now, and for the medium and long term
a) How do we ensure that businesses can sustain over the fall period?
b) Acknowledged the Federal Government on the support they have offered, in particular the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
- Transit is one of the key factors we need to address. We need to have operational regional transit to support individuals, businesses, and communities up and down the Sea to Sky.
- Housing – government will continue to invest in housing with a priority focus on vulnerable populations, while also supporting additional affordable housing solutions.
Topics that were covered:
- Housing – We still need more affordable housing in Whistler, to retain the quality people we have. Many are unable to sustain a lifestyle (with or without a family) and are choosing to move elsewhere within BC and Canada
- Employer Health Tax (EHT) – Businesses need more money in their pockets, so would like to request to extend the deferral to 2021
- Labour – The need for a more streamlined process to access foreign workers, and for workers to access Permanent Residency more swiftly
- Childcare – Ongoing challenges and discussions
- Supporting the Arts sector
We would like to thank MLA Jordan Sturdy for his continued support.
Your Chamber will stay in close contact with MLA Jordan Sturdy as we continue to Make Business Better for you.
Whistler Chamber hosts Elected Officials for Advocacy in Action Community Discussion May 31, 2021 The Whistler Chamber of Commerce was proud to host Patrick Weiler, MP for West Vancouver – Sunshine Coast – Sea to Sky Country, and Jordan Sturdy, MLA for West...
Whistler Chamber Responds to new Health Orders April 22, 2021 On March 31, 2021, Dr. Bonnie Henry, BC’s Provincial Health Officer, announced a series of health orders that would have implications across the province. The Whistler Chamber posted a response by...
Advocacy in Action - Celebrating the Power of Connection February 25, 2021 On February 18, the Whistler Chamber held our monthly Advocacy in Action: Member Input Session. Melissa Pace, CEO of the Whistler Chamber, connected virtually with eight Members and...
BC PNP Program - Letter to Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation UPDATE: February 17, 2021 The BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) has resumed invitations to 31 occupations that were under a temporary suspension. This is a big win for Whistler...
In December last year, Patrick Weiler, MP, West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country, reached out to the Whistler Chamber to ask for a list of Members who would…