Home arrow For Employees arrow Non Resident Workers  
Non Resident Workers

In most cases, if you are not a resident or a Canadian citizen, you must have a working visa to be eligible for employment anywhere in Canada. Such authorization is almost always arranged in the country of origin.

Service Canada is a great resource for individuals looking for a job in Canada.

Working in Canada for the first time?

If your application to work in Canada is successful, you will be provided with a Letter of Introduction to present to Citizenship & Immigration Canada upon your arrival. Based upon that document, Citizenship & Immigration Canada will issue an Employment Authorization document. With Employment Authorization, you are legally able to work in Canada. You need that document to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

To apply for a SIN, you'll have to visit a Service Canada Centre, or apply by mail. As you will have to mail your original documents, including passport, we do not recommend this method. Service Canada is in Whistler two days per month to process SIN applications. Click here for dates and times.

Call 1-800-206-7218 or visit http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/sin/index.shtml for more information on Social Insurance Numbers.

Renewing your work Visa or becoming a permanent resident?

Please click here for information regarding the Canada-Australia Youth Mobility Agreement.

BC Provincial Nominee Program
This is a joint program administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and British Columbia’s Ministry of Economic Development. This program is designed to expedite the permanent immigration of foreign skilled workers into Canada. A majority of nominees to this program are currently working in Canada with a temporary work visa.
For more information, visit http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsAndServices/PNP/index.htm

Canadian Skilled Worker Visa
The Canadian Skilled Worker Visa allows migration to Canada as a Permanent Resident, without the need for an employer or sponsor, to seek employment and apply for jobs following the exact same process as a resident skilled worker. Canada is keen to have skilled workers and this Canada migration points system is designed to encourage Canadian immigration by skilled workers.  You are able to accept a job and join a new employer without you and that employer needing to go through the work permit process.  The Canada Skilled Worker Visa gives you the right to apply for Citizenship after 3 years, providing that you follow the necessary requirements to apply, thus making this visa a very attractive and popular method of Canadian immigration for skilled workers.