Advocacy in Action – Celebrating the Power of Connection
February 25, 2021
On February 18, the Whistler Chamber held our monthly Advocacy in Action: Member Input Session. Melissa Pace, CEO of the Whistler Chamber, connected virtually with eight Members and provided updates on important advocacy wins such as the BC PNP Program changes, shared important information on grants, and gave a reminder of what support the Chamber has to offer.
The purpose of these Member Input Sessions is for the Chamber to hear directly from our Members about what issues their businesses are facing and how the Chamber can continue to support. The issues discussed ranged from financial challenges to staffing issues, to mental health and wellbeing. Here are some of the key takeaways that the Chamber has logged and will continue to work to find answers and/or support Members with:
- How to keep businesses properly staffed and trained for when the numbers of visitors go back to normal. Will Whistler be ready for the next phase when visitors return?
- How can businesses retain staff if there aren’t enough work hours to give them?
- With mental health issues rising in the community, what else can be done?
- How can businesses keep doors open when revenue isn’t coming in as it once did?
During the session, the Chamber was inspired by the incredible strength and resilience of the Whistler business community. Every participant was collaborative in sharing valuable information, insight and innovative solutions. Once again, the power of our network enabled our Members to share tools with each other and the wider Whistler business community.
Below are the resources that were outlined during our latest Advocacy in Action session:
- Whistler Personnel Solutions – Training Wage Subsidies Available
- Whistler Community Services Society – COVID-19 Resources
- Whistler Community Services Society – Peer Educator Program
- BC Chamber – Building Resilience to Thrive Program
- Whistler Public Library – Friends of the Whistler Public Library 50/50 Raffle
Advocacy in Action: Member Input Sessions are an opportunity for Members to become more informed, better connected and leave equipped with resources to assist their businesses. Especially during the pandemic, it is important to use these opportunities to network, and let the Chamber know how to make business better for YOU, our Members.
We continue to work hard on moving the dial on issues affecting Whistler’s business. You can ensure your voice is heard by participating in our surveys, and by joining us for any of our virtual events. Here’s to the power of connection!
3 Coaching Tips to Engage and Improve Your Team's Performance December 27, 2022 There are many different types of leadership, however one thing that all good leaders have in common is their ability to influence or guide other individuals, teams, or entire...
3 Reasons Why Championing Gender Diversity is Good For Business December 19, 2022 For many people, transgender issues are new territory and the concepts related to gender diversity may feel overwhelming or confusing. That's why, this year Gender Diversity Basics is...
How to Support Local this Municipal Election September 23, 2022 During the pandemic, Whistler rallied to support local businesses, now the community can continue that support by using their vote in the upcoming Municipal election. As the Voice of Business, the...